Updated HHS Perinatal Antiretroviral Treatment Guidelines Now Available in PDF and HTML Formats
AIDSinfo announces the release of the updated Recommendations for Use of Antiretroviral Drugs in Pregnant HIV-1-Infected Women for Maternal Health and Interventions to Reduce Perinatal HIV Transmission in the United States. Key updates and new information included in the guidelines are prefaced in What’s New in the Guidelines. Additions and revisions are also highlighted in yellow throughout the text and tables of the guidelines.
In addition to the customary printer-friendly PDF format, the perinatal guidelines are now also available in a Web-based format. The Web-friendly HTML format makes it easy to navigate through the perinatal guidelines and to quickly search for information. The updated guidelines also include a quick response (QR) code on the cover of the document. Scan the code using your Smartphone to view the guidelines on the AIDSinfo mobile site.
Selected key updates to the guidelines include:
- Updates on recent results from international clinical trials on antiretroviral interventions to reduce perinatal transmission of HIV
- A new section on preconception care and reproductive options for HIV seroconcordant and serodiscordant couples
- Revisions to the table on antiretroviral drugs in pregnancy to include drug formulation and dosing information in addition to pregnancy-related pharmacokinetic and toxicity data and recommendations for use in pregnancy
- Modifications to recommendations for use of tenofovir in pregnancy
- New section on the diagnosis and management of acute HIV-1 infection during pregnancy
- New section on management of HIV-2 infection during pregnancy
- New recommendations on antiretroviral regimens for use in women with HIV/hepatitis B coinfection
- New information on dosing of prophylactic antiretroviral drugs for the HIV-exposed neonate
- Updated recommendations on antiretroviral prophylaxis of infants whose mothers have not received antepartum antiretroviral drugs
For a complete preview of key updates to the guidelines, see What’s New in the Guidelines.
To view or download the guidelines, go to the Perinatal Guidelines section of AIDSinfo. (A separate PDF file of all tables in the guidelines can also be downloaded from the page.) Or go to the AIDSinfo Order Publications page to request the guidelines via e-mail. To request a printed copy of the guidelines, please contact the AIDSinfo call center.
Your Feedback Is Welcome
The HHS Panel on Treatment of HIV-Infected Pregnant Women and Prevention of Perinatal Transmission welcomes feedback on the updated Recommendations for Use of Antiretroviral Drugs in Pregnant HIV-1-Infected Women for Maternal Health and Interventions to Reduce Perinatal HIV Transmission in the United States. Please send your comments with the subject line "Comments on Perinatal Guidelines" to ContactUs@aidsinfo.nih.gov by September 30, 2011.