National Asian and Pacific Islander HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
May 19, 2010
May 19 is the sixth annual observance of National Asian and Pacific Islander HIV/AIDS Awareness Day. The purpose of this day is to increase awareness of HIV/AIDS in the Asian and Pacific Islander communities. According to the latest surveillance data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the estimated number of newly diagnosed AIDS cases is increasing among Asians and Pacific Islanders.
Each year, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Office of AIDS Research (OAR) develops a Trans-NIH Plan for HIV-Related Research. Chapter 5 of the 2010 Plan includes the following areas of HIV-related research focused on racial and ethnic populations:
The links on this page provide information about National Asian and Pacific Islander HIV/AIDS Awareness Day and resources about HIV prevention, treatment, and research, including information specifically related to Asians and Pacific Islanders.
- Develop and conduct research on population-specific factors that influence risk of HIV
- Develop population-specific interventions focusing on individual, community, and sociocultural factors as well as biological susceptibility
- Develop and test methods and measures to assess HIV risk in populations at highest risk of HIV infection
- Support research that examines factors affecting HIV risk behavior, acquisition, transmission, and resistance among people at the highest risk of HIV infection within racial and ethnic minority communities
HIV/AIDS-Related Research about Asians and Pacific Islanders in the United States
FY 2010 Trans-NIH Plan for HIV-Related Research: Comprehensive plan for all NIH HIV-related research for 2010, from OAR, NIH. Chapter 5 of the plan focuses on research related to specific populations, including racial and ethnic populations.
HIV/AIDS Clinical Trials: Studies seeking volunteers, from ClinicalTrials.gov. To help narrow your search for clinical trials, Live Help, a service of AIDSinfo, is available to provide one-on-one assistance via the Internet. Assistance from AIDSinfo is also available by calling 800-448-0440.
Published HIV Research Related to Asians and Pacific Islanders: Research published concerning HIV and Asians and Pacific Islanders, from PubMed.gov.
AIDSinfo provides information on HIV/AIDS treatment and research:
- HIV/AIDS Treatment Guidelines: HHS recommendations for the treatment of people infected with HIV.
- HIV Vaccine Information: Links to HIV vaccine clinical trials and fact sheets about therapeutic and preventive HIV vaccines.
- HIV/AIDS Clinical Trials: Database of clinical trials designed to help patients and health care providers locate trials studying HIV/AIDS.
- HIV/AIDS Drug Information: Database of fact sheets on HIV/AIDS-related drugs.
- Glossary of HIV/AIDS-Related Terms: Definitions of medical and scientific terms related to HIV/AIDS and its treatment.
- HIV/AIDS Fact Sheets: Fact sheets on HIV/AIDS-related topics for persons newly diagnosed with HIV or considering starting treatment.
- Live Help: One-on-one assistance via the Internet to help people navigate the AIDSinfo Web site and get federally approved information on HIV/AIDS treatment and prevention research, HIV/AIDS clinical trials, and treatment guidelines. Assistance is also available by calling 800-448-0440.