Ombitasvir/Paritaprevir/Ritonavir plus DasabuvirBrand Name: Viekira Pak Other Names: paritaprevir/ritonavir/ombitasvir/dasabuvir Drug Class: Opportunistic Infections and Coinfections
What is Viekira Pak?
Viekira Pak is a prescription medicine approved by the U.S. ritonavir. The other tablet contains the medicine dasabuvir.
HCV is an . An opportunistic infection is an infection that occurs more frequently or is more severe in people with weakened immune systems—such as those infected with HIV—than in people with healthy immune systems.
How is Viekira Pak used in people with HIV?
The Guidelines for the Prevention and Treatment of Opportunistic Infections in HIV-Infected Adults and Adolescents, prepared by the
In addition to recommendations for the medicine's use in treating chronic HCV infection, the guidelines and the guidance include recommendations on the “off-label” use of Viekira Pak to treat acute HCV infection in HIV-infected individuals. “Off-label” use refers to use of an FDA-approved medicine in a manner different from that described on the medicine label. Good medical practice and the best interests of a patient sometimes require that a medicine be used “off-label.”
What should I tell my health care provider before taking Viekira Pak?
Before taking Viekira Pak, tell your health care provider:
- If you are allergic to any of the medicines in Viekira Pak (dasabuvir, ombitasvir, paritaprevir, and ritonavir) or any other medicines.
- About any medical conditions you have or have had, for example, , liver problems, liver transplant, or HIV infection.
- If you take any of the following medicines: darunavir, efavirenz, lopinavir, or rilpivirine.
- About anything that could affect your ability to take medicines, such as difficulty swallowing or remembering to take pills.
- If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Whether Viekira Pak can harm an unborn baby is unknown. Viekira Pak should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed. Sometimes Viekira Pak is taken with the HIV medicine ribavirin. Ribavirin may cause birth defects or death of an unborn baby. Pregnant women and men whose partners are pregnant should not use Viekira Pak with ribavirin. Talk to your health care provider about possible risks with taking Viekira Pak when pregnant.
- If you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. Do not breastfeed if you are infected with HIV.
- About other prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking or plan to take. Viekira Pak may affect the way other medicines or products work, and other medicines or products may affect how Viekira Pak works. Ask your health care provider if there are interactions between Viekira Pak and the other medicines you take.
Ask your health care provider about possible side effects from Viekira Pak. Your health care provider will tell you what to do if you have side effects.
How should I take Viekira Pak?
Take Viekira Pak according to your health care provider’s instructions. Your health care provider will tell you how much of Viekira Pak to take and when to take it. Before you start Viekira Pak and each time you get a refill, read any printed information that comes with your medicine. If you take the medicine ribavirin along with Viekira Pak, also read any printed information that comes with your ribavirin medicine.
How should Viekira Pak be stored?
- Store Viekira Pak at or below 86°F (30°C).
- Do not use Viekira Pak if the original packs are broken.
- Throw away Viekira Pak that is no longer needed or expired (out of date). Follow FDA guidelines on how to safely dispose of unused medicine.
- Keep Viekira Pak and all medicines out of reach of children.
Where can I find more information about Viekira Pak?
More information about Viekira Pak is available:
- Recommendations on the HIV-related uses of Viekira Pak, from the Guidelines for the Prevention and Treatment of Opportunistic Infections in HIV-Infected Adults and Adolescents, prepared by CDC, NIH, and IDSA-HIVMA.
- Recommendations on the HIV-related uses of Viekira Pak, from the Hepatitis C Guidance: AASLD-IDSA Recommendations for Testing, Managing, and Treating Adults Infected with Hepatitis C Virus, prepared by AASLD, IDSA, and IAS-USA.
- Viekira Pak-related research studies, from the database of study summaries.
The above Patient Version drug summary is based on the following FDA label(s): Co-packaged tablets (film coated).
Last Reviewed: May 19, 2016