Ombitasvir/Paritaprevir/Ritonavir plus DasabuvirBrand Name: Viekira Pak Other Names: paritaprevir/ritonavir/ombitasvir/dasabuvir Drug Class: Opportunistic Infections and Coinfections
What is Viekira Pak?
Viekira Pak is anprescription medicine approved by the U.S. (FDA) for the treatment of chronic (HCV), including in people with a certain type of damage called compensated cirrhosis.
HCV is an What is an Opportunistic Infection? fact sheet.To learn how HIV and HCV are connected, read the AIDSinfo (OI) of HIV. An OI is an infection that occurs more frequently or is more severe in people with weakened immune systems—such as people with HIV—than in people with healthy immune systems. To learn more about OIs, read the HIV and Hepatitis C fact sheet. The fact sheet includes information about how HCV is spread, symptoms of HCV, and treatment options.
How is Viekira Pak used in people with HIV?
The Guidelines for the Prevention and Treatment of Opportunistic Infections in HIV-Infected Adults and Adolescents (the guidelines) and theC Guidance: AASLD-IDSA Recommendations for Testing, Managing, and Treating Hepatitis C (the guidance) both include recommendations on the uses of Viekira Pak in people with HIV.
Using a medicine as indicated on the medicine label is called; using the medicine in a different way is called . Off-label use, for example, can include using a drug for a different disease or medical condition. Good medical practice and the best interests of a patient sometimes require that a medicine be used off-label.
The guidelines and the guidance include recommendations on the following uses of Viekira Pak:
- On-label use: treatment of chronic HCV
- Off-label use: treatment of acute HCV
What should I tell my health care provider before taking Viekira Pak?
Before taking Viekira Pak, tell your health care provider:
- If you are allergic to any of the medicines in Viekira Pak (dasabuvir, ombitasvir, paritaprevir, and ritonavir) or any other medicines.
- About any medical conditions you have or have had, for example, liver problems.
- About anything that could affect your ability to take medicines, such as difficulty swallowing or remembering to take tablets.
- If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Pregnant women and men whose partners are pregnant should not use Viekira Pak when taken with ribavirin. (Women should not become pregnant during treatment with Viekira Pak when taken with ribavirin. Women should also not become pregnant for 6 months after they stop taking Viekira Pak with ribavirin or for 6 months after their male partners stop taking Viekira Pak with ribavirin.)
- If you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. Do not breastfeed if you have HIV.
- About other prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking or plan to take. Viekira Pak may affect the way other medicines or products work, and other medicines or products may affect how Viekira Pak works. Ask your health care provider if there are interactions between Viekira Pak and the other medicines you take.
Ask your health care provider about possible side effects from Viekira Pak. Your health care provider will tell you what to do if you have side effects.
How should I take Viekira Pak?
Take Viekira Pak according to your health care provider’s instructions. Your health care provider will tell you how much Viekira Pak to take and when to take it. Before you start Viekira Pak and each time you get a refill, read any printed information that comes with your medicine. If you take the medicine ribavirin along with Viekira Pak, also read any printed information that comes with your ribavirin medicine.
How should Viekira Pak be stored?
- Store Viekira Pak at or below 86°F (30°C).
- Keep Viekira Pak in the original container and keep the container tightly closed.
- Do not use Viekira Pak if the original seal over the container opening is broken or missing.
- Throw away Viekira Pak that is no longer needed or expired (out of date). Follow FDA guidelines on how to safely dispose of unused medicine.
- Keep Viekira Pak and all medicines out of reach of children.
Where can I find more information about Viekira Pak?
More information about Viekira Pak is available:
- Recommendations on the HIV-related uses of Viekira Pak, from the Guidelines for the Prevention and Treatment of Opportunistic Infections in HIV-Infected Adults and Adolescents, prepared by the , the , and the HIV Medicine Association of the Diseases Society of America
- Recommendations on the HIV-related uses of Viekira Pak, from the Hepatitis C Guidance: AASLD-IDSA Recommendations for Testing, Managing, and Treating Hepatitis C, prepared by the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases and the Infectious Diseases Society of America
- Viekira Pak-related research studies, from the AIDSinfo database of study summaries
The above Patient Version drug summary is based on the following FDA label(s): Co-packaged tablets (film coated).
Last Reviewed: January 11, 2019