Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Agents in Pediatric HIV Infection
The information in the brief version is excerpted directly from the full-text guidelines. The brief version is a compilation of the tables and boxed recommendations.
Management of Medication Toxicity or Intolerance
Last Updated: May 22, 2018; Last Reviewed: May 22, 2018
- Belay B, Belamarich PF, Tom-Revzon C. The use of statins in pediatrics: knowledge base, limitations, and future directions. Pediatrics. 2007;119(2):370-380. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17272627.
- McComsey G, Bhumbra N, Ma JF, Rathore M, Alvarez A, First Pediatric Switch Study. Impact of protease inhibitor substitution with efavirenz in HIV-infected children: results of the First Pediatric Switch Study. Pediatrics. 2003;111(3):e275-281. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12612284.
- Vigano A, Aldrovandi GM, Giacomet V, et al. Improvement in dyslipidaemia after switching stavudine to tenofovir and replacing protease inhibitors with efavirenz in HIV-infected children. Antivir Ther. 2005;10(8):917-924. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16430197.
- Tassiopoulos K, Williams PL, Seage GR 3rd, et al. Association of hypercholesterolemia incidence with antiretroviral treatment, including protease inhibitors, among perinatally HIV-infected children. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008;47(5):607-614. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18209684.
- Aldrovandi GM, Lindsey JC, Jacobson DL, et al. Morphologic and metabolic abnormalities in vertically HIV-infected children and youth. AIDS. 2009;23(6):661-672. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19279441.
- Rhoads MP, Lanigan J, Smith CJ, Lyall EG. Effect of specific ART drugs on lipid changes and the need for lipid management in children with HIV. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2011;57(5):404-412. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21499114.
- Jacobson DL, Williams P, Tassiopoulos K, Melvin A, Hazra R, Farley J. Clinical management and follow-up of hypercholesterolemia among perinatally HIV-infected children enrolled in the PACTG 219C study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2011;57(5):413-420. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21602698.
- O'Gorman CS, O'Neill MB, Conwell LS. Considering statins for cholesterol-reduction in children if lifestyle and diet changes do not improve their health: a review of the risks and benefits. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2011;7:1-14. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21339908.
- Dube MP, Cadden JJ. Lipid metabolism in treated HIV infection. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011;25(3):429-442. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21663837.
- Singh S, Willig JH, Mugavero MJ, et al. Comparative effectiveness and toxicity of statins among HIV-infected patients. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;52(3):387-395. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21189273.
- Expert Panel on Integrated Guidelines for Cardiovascular Health and Risk Reduction in Children and Adolescents. Integrated guidelines for cardiovascular health and risk reduction in children and adolescents. The report of the expert panel. 2011. Available at http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/cvd_ped/summary.htm.
- Food and Drug Administration. FDA drug safety communication: interactions between certain HIV or hepatitis C drugs and cholesterol-lowering statin drugs can increase the risk of muscle injury. 2012. Available at http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm293877.htm. Accessed February 6, 2018.
- Langat A, Benki-Nugent S, Wamalwa D, et al. Lipid changes in Kenyan HIV-1-infected infants initiating highly active antiretroviral therapy by 1 year of age. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2013;32(7):e298-304. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23385950.
- Casado JL, de Los Santos I, Del Palacio M, et al. Lipid-lowering effect and efficacy after switching to etravirine in HIV-infected patients with intolerance to suppressive HAART. HIV Clin Trials. 2013;14(1):1-9. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23372109.
- Calza L, Manfredi R, Colangeli V, et al. Two-year treatment with rosuvastatin reduces carotid intima-media thickness in HIV type 1-infected patients receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy with asymptomatic atherosclerosis and moderate cardiovascular risk. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2013;29(3):547-556. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23098891.
- Lazzaretti RK, Kuhmmer R, Sprinz E, Polanczyk CA, Ribeiro JP. Dietary intervention prevents dyslipidemia associated with highly active antiretroviral therapy in human immunodeficiency virus type 1-infected individuals: a randomized trial.
J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012;59(11):979-988. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22402068.
- Strehlau R, Coovadia A, Abrams EJ, et al. Lipid profiles in young HIV-infected children initiating and changing antiretroviral therapy. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2012;60(4):369-376. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22134152.
- Hazra R, Cohen RA, Gonin R, et al. Lipid levels in the second year of life among HIV-infected and HIV-exposed uninfected Latin American children. AIDS. 2012;26(2):235-240. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22008654.
- Arpadi S, Shiau S, Strehlau R, et al. Metabolic abnormalities and body composition of HIV-infected children on Lopinavir or Nevirapine-based antiretroviral therapy. Arch Dis Child. 2013;98(4):258-264. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23220209.
- Calvo M, Martinez E. Update on metabolic issues in HIV patients. Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2014;9(4):332-339. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24824886.
- Barlow-Mosha L, Eckard AR, McComsey GA, Musoke PM. Metabolic complications and treatment of perinatally HIV-infected children and adolescents. J Int AIDS Soc. 2013;16:18600. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23782481.
- Blazquez D, Ramos-Amador JT, Sainz T, et al. Lipid and glucose alterations in perinatally-acquired HIV-infected adolescents and young adults. BMC Infect Dis. 2015;15:119. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25880777.
- Bwakura-Dangarembizi M, Musiime V, Szubert AJ, et al. Prevalence of lipodystrophy and metabolic abnormalities in HIV-infected African children after 3 years on first-line antiretroviral therapy. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2015;34(2):e23-31. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25068287.
- Dejkhamron P, Unachak K, Aurpibul L, Sirisanthana V. Insulin resistance and lipid profiles in HIV-infected Thai children receiving lopinavir/ritonavir-based highly active antiretroviral therapy. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2014;27(5-6):403-412. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24259240.
- Innes S, Abdullah KL, Haubrich R, Cotton MF, Browne SH. High prevalence of dyslipidemia and insulin resistance in HIV-infected pre-pubertal African children on antiretroviral therapy. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2015. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26421804.
- Tauber WB, Lewis LL. Clinical review of elvitegravir/cobicistat/emtricitabine/tenofovir alafenamide (Genvoya). 2015. Available at http://www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/developmentapprovalprocess/developmentresources/ucm478088.pdf. Accessed February 6, 2018.
- Sax PE, Wohl D, Yin MT, et al. Tenofovir alafenamide versus tenofovir disoproxil fumarate, coformulated with elvitegravir, cobicistat, and emtricitabine, for initial treatment of HIV-1 infection: two randomised, double-blind, phase 3, non-inferiority trials. Lancet. 2015;385(9987):2606-2615. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25890673.
- Murnane P, Strehlau R, Shiau S, et al. Three-year outcomes in PMTCT-exposed children switched to EFV once suppressed on LPV/r. Presented at: 23rd Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections. 2016. Boston, MA.
- Lee FJ, Monteiro P, Baker D, et al. Rosuvastatin vs. protease inhibitor switching for hypercholesterolaemia: a randomized trial. HIV Med. 2016;17(8):605-614. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26987376.
- Lichtenstein KA, Hart RL, Wood KC, et al. Statin use is associated with incident diabetes mellitus among patients in the HIV outpatient study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015;69(3):306-311. Available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26181706.
- Erlandson KM, Jiang Y, Debanne SM, McComsey GA. Rosuvastatin worsens insulin resistance in HIV-infected adults on antiretroviral therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;61(10):1566-1572. Available at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26157049.
- Spagnuolo V, Galli L, Poli A, et al. Associations of statins and antiretroviral drugs with the onset of type 2 diabetes among HIV-1-infected patients. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17(1):43. Available at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28061820.
- Calza L, Colangeli V, Magistrelli E, et al. No correlation between statin exposure and incident diabetes mellitus in HIV-1-infected patients receiving combination antiretroviral therapy. HIV Med. 2016;17(8):631-633. Available at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27028348.
- Aberg JA, Sponseller CA, Ward DJ, Kryzhanovski VA, Campbell SE, Thompson MA. Pitavastatin versus pravastatin in adults with HIV-1 infection and dyslipidaemia (INTREPID): 12 week and 52 week results of a phase 4, multicentre, randomised, double-blind, superiority trial. Lancet HIV. 2017;4(7):e284-e294. Available at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28416195.
- Ramteke SM, Shiau S, Foca M, et al. Patterns of growth, body composition, and lipid profiles in a South African cohort of Human Immunodeficiency Virus-infected and uninfected children: a cross-sectional study. J Pediatric Infect Dis Soc. 2017. Available at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28481997.
- Melvin AJ, Montepiedra G, Aaron L, et al. Safety and efficacy of atorvastatin in Human Immunodeficiency Virus-infected children, adolescents, and young adults with hyperlipidemia. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2017;36(1):53-60. Available at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27749649.