Recommendations for the Use of Antiretroviral Drugs in Pregnant Women with HIV Infection and Interventions to Reduce Perinatal HIV Transmission in the United States
The information in the brief version is excerpted directly from the full-text guidelines. The brief version is a compilation of the tables and boxed recommendations.
Appendix C. Clinical Trial Efficacy Data for Daily, Oral Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate/Emtricitabine as Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis
Last Updated: December 24, 2019; Last Reviewed: December 24, 2019
|Percentage of Participants with Detectable Plasma Levels of TFV|
(n = 4,758)1
|Serodiscordant couples in Kenya and Uganda
n = 1,579 randomized to receive TDF/FTC
|TDF/FTC||75% (55% to 87%)||82%b|
(n = 1,215)2
|Heterosexual men and women in Botswana||TDF/FTC||63% (22% to 83%)||79%|
(n = 2,056)3
|Heterosexual women in South Africa, Kenya, and Tanzania||TDF/FTC||No effect||24%|
(n = 5,029)4
|Heterosexual women in South Africa, Uganda, and Zimbabwe n = 1,003 randomized to receive TDF/FTC||TDF/FTC||No effect||29%|
|a The data in this table are from studies that included heterosexual women.
b Among the patients who achieved detectable plasma levels of TFV, the efficacy estimate for daily TDF/FTC was 91% (95% CI, 47% to 98%).4
Key: CI = confidence interval; FTC = emtricitabine; PrEP = pre=exposure prophylaxis TDF = tenofovir disoproxil fumarate; TFV = tenofovir
- Baeten JM, Donnell D, Ndase P, et al. Antiretroviral prophylaxis for HIV prevention in heterosexual men and women. N Engl J Med. 2012;367(5):399-410. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22784037.
- Thigpen MC, Kebaabetswe PM, Paxton LA, et al. Antiretroviral preexposure prophylaxis for heterosexual HIV transmission in Botswana. N Engl J Med. 2012. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22784038.
- Van Damme L, Corneli A, Ahmed K, et al. Preexposure prophylaxis for HIV infection among African women. N Engl J Med. 2012;367(5):411-22. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22784040.
- Donnell D, Baeten JM, Bumpus NN, et al. HIV protective efficacy and correlates of tenofovir blood concentrations in a clinical trial of PrEP for HIV prevention. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2014;66(3):340-348. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24784763.
- AIDSinfo Drug Database
- AIDSinfo Patient Materials: Preventing Mother-to-Child Transmission of HIV
- AIDSinfo Patient Materials: HIV Medicines During Pregnancy and Childbirth
- AIDSinfo Patient Materials: Protecting Baby from HIV
- AETC National HIV Curriculum
- How to Cite These Guidelines
- Perinatal Guidelines Archive