National Latino AIDS Awareness Day
October 15, 2011
October 15 is National Latino AIDS Awareness Day (NLAAD). The purpose of this annual observance is to increase awareness of HIV/AIDS in the Hispanic/Latino community. According to the 2009 surveillance data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Hispanic/Latino community continues to be disproportionately affected by HIV infection. Of people newly diagnosed with HIV infection in the 40 states with confidential name-based reporting, 18% were Hispanic/Latino. However Hispanics/Latinos represented only 13% of the total population in the same geographic area. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is committed to addressing this disparity in the Hispanic/Latino community. The theme of NLAAD this year is “Latinos Unite! Let's stay Healthy! Get Tested for HIV!”
The links on this page provide information about NLAAD and resources about HIV prevention, treatment, and research, including information specifically related to the Hispanic/Latino community.
HIV/AIDS-Related Research and Hispanics/Latinos
FY 2012 Trans-NIH Plan for HIV-Related Research: Comprehensive plan for all National Institutes of Health (NIH) HIV-related research for 2012, from the Office of AIDS Research (OAR), NIH. The Reducing HIV-Related Disparities section of the plan includes research related to specific populations, including racial and ethnic populations.
Clinical Trials Related to HIV/AIDS and Hispanics/Latinos: Studies seeking volunteers to participate in research related to HIV/AIDS and Hispanics/Latinos, from the AIDSinfo clinical trial search. To help narrow your search for clinical trials, Live Chat, a service of AIDSinfo, is available to provide one-on-one assistance via the Internet. Spanish-speaking health information specialists are available on the Internet via Ayuda en Vivo. Assistance is also available in English and Spanish by calling 800-448-0440.
Published Research Related to HIV/AIDS and Hispanic/Latinos:
HIV/AIDS Statistics and Hispanics/Latinos
HIV among Hispanics/Latinos [en español]: Fact sheet with information and statistics on the prevalence of HIV infection among Hispanics/Latinos and actions CDC is taking to address prevention challenges in this community, from CDC.
HIV and AIDS among Latinos: Fact sheet about HIV/AIDS and the complex factors that may increase risk of HIV infection in the Hispanic/Latino population, from CDC.
HIV/AIDS and Latinos [en español]: Information on how HIV/AIDS disproportionately affects Hispanics/Latinos and the need for a preventive HIV vaccine, from the HIV Vaccine Trials Network (HVTN).
HIV/AIDS and Hispanic Americans: Profile of HIV/AIDS statistics among Hispanic/Latino Americans, from the Office of Minority Health (OMH).
Hispanics and HIV/AIDS: Information on HIV/AIDS-related statistics pertaining to Hispanics/Latinos and the Ryan White Program response, from the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA).
HIV/AIDS Multimedia Resources and Hispanics/Latinos
National HIV/AIDS Strategy and the Latino Community
: Video of a White House Office of National Aids Policy forum with representatives of the Latino Community, from the Official White House YouTube Channel.
A Conversation with the Latino Commission on AIDS
: Video about National Latino AIDS Awareness Day, as well as the National HIV/AIDS Strategy, from the Official AIDS.gov YouTube Channel.
Send an eCard!
Send your family and friends a personalized electronic greeting card to help them find the nearest HIV testing site, from NIAID.
and its Spanish-language companion Web site, infoSIDA
, provide HIV/AIDS treatment and research information in both English and Spanish. These resources are also available on the AIDSinfo mobile site
and the infoSIDA mobile site
- HIV/AIDS Clinical Guidelines: Federally approved medical practice guidelines related to HIV/AIDS.
- HIV/AIDS Clinical Trials [en español]: Database of clinical trials designed to help patients and health care providers locate trials studying HIV/AIDS.
- HIV/AIDS Drug Information [en español]: Database of HIV/AIDS-related drug summaries for health professionals and patients.
- Glossary of HIV/AIDS-Related Terms [en español]: Definitions of medical and scientific terms related to HIV/AIDS and its treatment.
- HIV/AIDS Patient Education Materials [en español]: Patient education materials on HIV/AIDS-related topics for persons newly diagnosed with HIV or considering starting treatment.
- HIV/AIDS Health Topics [en español]: Comprehensive collection of links to government resources about HIV/AIDS-related topics. The section focusing on Hispanics/Latinos includes additional government resources related to HIV and the Hispanic/Latino community.
- Live Chat [en español]: One-on-one assistance via the Internet to help people navigate the AIDSinfo Web site and get federally approved information on HIV/AIDS treatment and prevention research, HIV/AIDS clinical trials, and treatment guidelines. Assistance from the AIDSinfo call center is also available in English or Spanish by calling 800-448-0440.